Writing Assignments

Jumpstart Photography

1. Go to the movies
  2. Look at popular photoblogs and get inspired. 
  3. Listen to your favorite music
  4. Shoot a sporting event
  5. Shoot for a holiday theme
  6. Reproduce art by the old masters
  7. Shoot a gorgeous model 
  8. Shoot my family
  9. Tell a story in 5 pictures
  10. Take a self portrait. 

Broad Museum Collection: Image Critique

Roy Lichtenstein: Still life

1. The color contrast between the blue and yellow is eye catching. 
  2. The blue dots are an interesting choice made to enhance the artwork. 
  3. The artwork is very bold and is simple enough to not look over crowding,
  4. This work has small details that work together to form a cohesive piece. 
  5. The artwork gives me a calm feeling and does not seem chaotic, and something I can stare at for a long time admiring. 

Social Media Trends

1. Show Your Audience Your “Reel” Brand Personality with Instagram Reels or Tiktok

This trend is considered to be a “snackable” content piece that takes up 15- 30 seconds of your audience’s time, which is well in between each generation’s attention span. I would utilize this trend to promote my brand because filming my photography process could be interesting and it is a cool and fun way to get my brand out to anyone on social media.

2. Make New Friends, But Keep The Old: Don’t leave Long- Form Video Out

This trend focuses on the videos that are longer than Tiktoks and Instagram Reels. It can be YouTube that increases your chance of getting your brand out there. I can make use of this trend by creating my own YouTube channel dedicated to my photography, it can be about what equipment I use, studio sessions, and more.

3. Stories Capabilities Are Not Only Here to Stay, They’re Growing

This trend focuses on the temporary content that can be gone within 24 hours of posting, such as stories. To promote my brand I would most likely be using Snapchat stories and Instagram stories for maximum exposure. My stories would be posted daily showing the set up, and would give updates throughout the day, as well as showcasing some of my work.

4. Replace Face- to- Face Time with Screen- to- Screen Time

This trend is there for a deeper connection with audience members. Virtual events like going live on social media platforms helps promote interactions with fans when they can comment live and view live as well. My brand would thrive with virtual events like this because I could mention future works that I would be working on, and give giveaways and raffles.

5. Make eCommerce Even Easier: Social Media Becoming a One- Stop Shop

This trend makes purchasing and checkout processes easier. Social media now offers an easier way to navigate through checkout processes that can happen from within the social media app you are using. This trend would make getting customers to buy things from me easier. By using Instagram’s shopping features I can list products customers would be interested in paying for.

6. When It Comes to Content Strategy, Knowledge is Power

This trend further emphasizes how important IGTV, Tiktoks, and long-form videos are to building your brand. You can be as creative or as simple as you want when it comes to showcasing your talent with your videos. I would especially take my time in making my Reels eye catching and appealing to the viewers.

7. Just Because You Can Go Text- Heavy on Facebook, Doesn’t Mean You Should

This trend acknowledges how long captions with posts can cause the audience to become unfocused and uninterested in what you have to say. I would take this trend and piece on information when writing my own captions to post. They should be easy on the eyes and worth taking the time too read, as well as making sense to what I posted.

8. What’s Behind the Brand and Behind the Screen at the Forefront: People

This trend tells the audience who is at the forefront for your brand and what the main purpose is. By showing how authentic your brand is and it’s people associated with the brand helps build loyal customers. I would utilize this trend by remembering that if i have a big company that it is not just me that needs to be showcased.

Studio Assistant – Prop Stylist

Ontario, CA 91764

• Passion for prop styling and photography a plus.
  • Stylizes products for lifestyle photography including drawing, painting, organizing and prep-work.
  • Required Qualifications:
    • High school diploma or equivalent required.
    • Must be able to carry up to 40 lbs.

Preferred Qualifications:

• Passion for prop styling and photography a plus.

I would be interested in this job above because of the descriptions and requirements. It would be an easy job to get into right after high school. I would have already had two years of photography experience as well as how to style and set up props to use for the best images. I consider myself to be a good artist so any drawings that come with the job should be no problem. This job is located in Ontario which would only make it  a 15-20 minute drive, I find that to be super convenient. The job description posted also sounds like fun and a place for creative thinking and ideas.

100 Most Influential Photos

By being a devoted athlete to any sport I play I know what claiming a victory feels like. The way your heart starts racing, energy coursing through your body, and how accomplished you feel. This photograph of Muhammad Ali’s victory taken by Neil Leifer in 1995, reveals tremendous success. The photo has such a strong impact on me because I can almost imagine how it could have felt to be Ali, or even just a spectator in the stands. Just by watching a sports team or boxing match through the TV I get excited. When I imagine what it must have been like to be there I am sure my emotions and levels of excitement would be heightened. The photo also greatly captures Muhammad Ali’s reaction to the acts he just committed. He defeated his opponent and by a knock out, his opponent was on the ground while Ali was left standing. From the image I can only make an inference that Ali let out some type of victory roar or yell, acknowledging his victory and how he is the best. Neil Leifer did an exceptional job taking this eye opening photograph. The lighting in the arena was placed perfectly to give the boxers the spotlight. This means the lighting for the photograph was perfect. He shot from an angle where Ali is pictured to be superior, the angle from the floor mat is how Ali appears to be large and tall. The angle also does well to capture how Ali continued to look down at his opponent who was laying on the ground. Leifer went to a location where the subjects were in the middle ad not placed off to the side, because after all Ali was the main focal point or attraction. Overall I just have a special preference for sports photography  because of my involvement in sports, however there is no denying that this particular image takes peoples emotions to the next level.

Sandy Skoglund Critique 

I really admire Sandy Skoglund’s creativity with all her work. This includes the image I provided called Revenge of the Goldfish. Sandy Skoglund is talented enough to make it look like the goldfish were swimming around the room. The little details of the goldfishes shadows on the wall only adds to that illusion. There is also the fact that the dresser’s drawers are open allowing the goldfish to sneak inside, these are the minor details that show creativity and adds to the image. The contrasting colors of orange and cyan catch my eye and it is almost appealing. The different angles of the goldfish and their placement was well though out on Skoglund’s behalf.

Wassily Kandinsky Critique

This artwork of Wassily is called Blue Rider. It contains vibrant primary colors. There are figures present such as a blue horse, a person riding the horse, two other people, and buildings. I think this work could be categorized as abstract. However this work was fairly easy to interpret. I think the man riding the horse is a hero coming into a village. The people to the left of the work look like village people by the way they are dressed, the person riding the horse looks like there is a cape on them, which I associate with a hero. I also like this work because it reminds me of something I would see in a children’s book.

Why Photography is Important

Photography is important to me because of all the memories I am able to create. It is nice to have a photographic reminder of special days like birthdays or even just casual outings with my friends. With photography I am constantly learning how to take better pictures and what works and what does not. I also like how it is all up to me and my preference. Photography does make me want to travel not only for the memories, but because I know some amazing pictures would come out of a traveling trip.

Photography is important to me even when all I am doing is viewing other peoples work. If I see something that catches my eye then I honestly believe it is a compliment to the photographer who took it. Photography also helps me stay aware with what is going on in the world, many things are documented now with photography and by getting a look at these images I can learn of a different perspective. Additionally, photography is of importance to me because it is a way I can express myself without words.

Social Issue Poster

Pollution is such a talked about and then forgotten issue. Actions towards finding solutions for this issue never stay on peoples minds for long. I am against pollution and everything that contributes to it. This includes littering, production of plastic items, burning of fossil fuels, and huge factories. The flip side to the pollution issue is humans can do something about it. We are the main cause of pollution on this Earth and my philosophy is if we just become self aware of our bad habits that contribute the issue then we will be more likely to put an end to it. The other side of my argument can discuss how the burning of fossil fuels is necessary and how transportation of cars an airplanes will always be around. However my rebuttal to this statement is there are different alternatives when it come to transportation, such as walking or bikes, as well as there are already cars that exist that run on electricity and use no gas to function. I choose to stand by my decision of putting an end to pollution because we need to think about what and who we are affecting. We are affecting the planet we live on and the animals who inhabit this planet as well. They should not have to lose their lives or suffer from the pain that humans inflict. My work is not meant to offend anyone, but rather have them second guess their actions on this planet. However, I think I do have the right to offend because the poster advocates for the animals who can not stand up for themselves. I believe my work does get the main point across because while there is not a lot going on in the poster the images I chose to include of the animals saddened faces speaks for itself.

2021 Silver List

Jasmine Clarke has a simple website and cover page. In this case simplicity was key. When going on to her page a strong image with great lighting appeared which filled the entire screen. Down at the bottom left and right there were two words to click on, one of which that took you to more of Jasmin Clarke’s work. The image I have include above by Jasmine Clarke stood out to me the most when clicking through her photographs. I can see how she used framing with the trees to make her subject stand out. I also admire how the main subject is not looking straight at the camera, but rather away from it, his positioning elevates this image.
Carl Bower has a website that effectively showcases his work. His set up is simple and yet strong. He has a column on the left of his website that has all the essentials such as his work, contacts, and information about him. His photographs take up most of his page, I would describe it as a gallery of his work as you scroll down. His work is a mixture of black & white, as well as color. The image I have include from Carl Bower really stood out to me out of the many photographs he inserted. The reason it stood out to me was because the woman is in the spotlight, but because the image is in black and white, it is like she is in the shadows. The sea of faces also helps create the dimension within the photo. This image also includes the rule of thirds.